Plymouth Historic House Tours 2013
Nutting / Cole House
8 Pleasant Street
Jane and Frank Hinkle
This house, now The Tea Rose Inn, is a Queen Anne Victorian, 3-story home with a rectangular tower on one side. In the court- yard garden there is an old strain of rose bush that is believed to be part of the original tea rose landscaping dating back to the 1800s. It only seemed appropriate that we name our beautiful home, The Tea Rose Inn.
Photo post card courtesy Ross Deachman. c. 1920 Nutting / Cole House
Plymouth Town records date the construction as early 1883 and the Inn originally served as the home of Edwin and Anna Nutting for many years. Originally, there were three bedrooms on the second floor with five rooms on the third floor that provided servant’s quarters. The original servant’s call bell is still mounted on the wall in one of the third floor rooms.
Back in the day, local businessmen Jason F. Draper and John F. Maynard, owners of the D & M Sporting Goods factory on North Main Street, were neighbors. The Maynard House is next door to the Inn and the Draper House is just across the street.
Jane and Frank purchased the home in 2006 with the hopes of opening a bed and breakfast. After extensive restoration of the servant’s quarters and second floor of the carriage house, they were finally ready to open their beautiful home to provide elegant accommodations to visitors.